Saturday, September 6, 2008

Hanging Out with Nana Mary


My kids are very lucky to have two complete sets of grandparents as well as a great grandma.

They also have a Nana. Nana Mary is the mom of my middle school/junior high/high school best friend Crystal.

Crystal and I don't get to see each other much due to geography and usually don't write or call but when we do get to see each other it is like we were never apart. We have the ability to pick up right where we left off. We are both moms now and I am a teacher and she works in an office but somehow we are still the same two girls who loved to bowl and talk on the phone for hours and hours and gossip about crushes. Every girl should have a friend like Crystal. We were opposites in so many ways, but so much alike in others. We complimented each other in the best of ways. This isn't to say that we never argued though. As Nana Mary can attest to, there were some big fights over the years but I always knew that when it mattered, when it was really important, she would be there for me. She was there during some rocky times in high school, she was there when I got married, she was there when my grandfather died . . . I could go on and on and on.

Anyway, back to the point. (I'm like this when I talk to someone in person too. I start off talking about one topic and wind up on a totally different topic. It's quite exciting to talk to me actually!)

Nana has been involved in my kids' lives since they were born. She used to babysit Meagan when Jimmy and I would go bowl. Once we quit bowling regularly she kept up with visits and hanging out with us occasionally.

She is teaching Meagan to bake and to sew and do all of those other things that moms are too busy and rushed to do with their own kids. Meagan loves her and I do too.

Now that Garrett is older he is getting to spend time with Nana too. Just recently he went and played with Mady, Crystal's daughter. They had a blast together and I wish I had taken some pictures! (It was during the week I went back to work so I was dead tired trying to get back into the swing of getting up at 5:30. Yes, 5:30 AM!)

In case you haven't figured it out, it is Garrett in the Hulk costume in the above pictures. Nana took Garrett to the dollar store (Nana's favorite!) and he talked her into the costume.

Nana, we just want to say thank you for all that you do and we love you!




No comments: