½ cup butter or margarine (I use butter)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 can (20 ounces) pineapple slices, undrained
maraschino cherries, drained (use as many as you want)
chopped nuts (I use pecans)
1 package yellow cake mix (I use the pineapple upside down mix)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup thawed, frozen whipped topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Melt butter in Family Skillet (This is a 12” skillet from Pampered Chef that can go in the oven. I think you could use any pan you want for it though.)
3. Remove pan from heat; stir in brown sugar until well blended.
4. Drain pineapple; reserving juice.
5. Arrange pineapple slices and cherries in pan, sprinkle with nuts.
6. Add enough water to pineapple juice to measure 1 1/3 cups of liquid.
7. In mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pineapple juice/water, eggs, and oil. Wisk until well blended and smooth. Pour over fruit mixture in skillet.
8. Bake 35 - 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
9. Let the cake cool for 5 minutes and then loosen the edges of the cake. (I run a butter knife around the edge of the pan.) Invert pan onto large serving plate.
10. Cool slightly and then garnish with whipped topping. (I don’t do this part.)